Recipe: Cast Iron Nacho Supreme

Author’s Note (2/6/16): Hello! I’m assuming you found this recipe on Pinterest. Considering tomorrow is the biggest football game of the year, I bet you’re looking for a yummy treat to take to the party. In that case, welcome and go Broncos!

I never thought this recipe would be a big hit, but apparently everyone loves nachos (and cheese, let’s be honest) as much as I do. I’m not going to claim to be a great cook—sometimes I just have an idea in the kitchen and throw stuff together. That’s what happened here. I just happened to have my camera and a piece of paper to write everything down.

You can learn more about me here and see any other recipes I’ve posted here (the baked spaghetti and queso sauce, because … queso.)

Confession: I love nachos. Actually, I just love chips in general (I know, they’re horrible for me). I’ve been craving a good plate of nachos for a while, so I decided to make them! This was Wednesday night’s meal. It was so quick, easy and absolutely delicious. I’m going to do you a favor and not calculate the nutritional information (because what fun would that be?!).

Here’s what you’ll need:

IMG_2275

That’s chili powder in the glass jar on the left. I sprinkled a dash in my beef mixture…but that’s up to you!

• 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 tsp. minced onion
  • 1 (1 oz.) packet taco seasoning
  • 1 bag tortilla chips
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1 jar con queso cheese sauce (you can use as much or as little as you like)
  • Mild cheddar and sharp cheddar cheeses (or any kind you like … as much or as little as you like)
  • Any additional toppings: avocado, onion, banana peppers, sour cream, jalapenos, lettuce, etc.

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a separate skillet, brown your ground beef over medium heat. Add in minced onion and a pinch of the green bell pepper. Drain. Add in taco seasoning and stir.

IMG_2270

While your beef is cooking, go ahead and arrange your tortilla chips in your cast iron skillet.

IMG_2280

When meat is finished cooking (and drained), sprinkle half the meat mixture over the layer of nachos. Add in black beans (uncooked). Sprinkle shredded cheeses over chips. Pour half of the con queso sauce over the mixture.

IMG_2281
Add a second layer of chips and repeat the previous step (you can add as many layers as you want—I just stuck with two). Sprinkle cheddar cheeses on top and drizzle con queso sauce over the top.

IMG_2282

I was starving at this point.

Stick cast iron skillet in preheated oven. Cook for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Once finished, sprinkle tomatoes and remaining bell pepper (and whatever else you want … Stephen doesn’t like vegetables) on top. Doesn’t it look delicious?

IMG_2284

Enjoy!

To download a .pdf copy of this recipe, click here.

25 thoughts on “Recipe: Cast Iron Nacho Supreme

1. Bonnie Chavez says:

I think it would be tasty if cubed avocado was used instead of bell pepper. By the way, avacado heated has a richer, more buttery flavor.

• Megan Hamby says:

I’m probably the only person in the world who hates avocado. I know, I’m crazy. But I do have friends who love avocado and have added it to this recipe! Make it your own! Enjoy! – MH

2. Jo says:

Great easy does it recipe. Gracias! Do you think a spray of oil or smear of butter on the bottom of the cast iron pan before adding chips would give a crispy bottom? Because my family always calls “Hotter” I will have a bottle of Sriracha Sauce to pass. If you haven’t tried it,
    look for the Rooster on a 9 oz. plastic bottle available in some groc. stores. It’s made by Huy Fong Foods Inc. I add it to sauces for lobster cakes,, shrimp cocktail,etc. Serving it in a small dish to pass mixed with a tsp. of honey is amazing. .Thanks Megan, waiting for your next
    recipe. Trying this one this week-end. jm

• Megan Hamby says:

I have no idea about mozzarella queso, but I’m envisioning a fun type of pizza nachos with gooey mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, sausage and sauce. Now I’m hungry! 🙂 Let me know if you come up with a solution! You could also go without the queso sauce and drizzle salsa over your chips, as well! Enjoy! – MH

3. Olga says:

Wondering if we could put the cast iron on top of the campfire without totally charring the chips? May have to give it a try and let you know.

• brightsite says:

If putting on the campfire, you may want to cover the top with foil and put on indirect heat (away from the actual flames). I wouldn’t go over 10 mins, maybe check them in 5 and continue if needed.

4. Charlotte from AZ says:

I will definitely be trying this…love nachos! Thanks for sharing your quick and easy way of making this!

5. Sandi says:

I want to print the recipe. I did click on the place for PDF but nothing happened. Any suggestions. Maybe just hand write it.

• Megan Hamby says:

Hi, Sandi! I’m sorry the PDF didn’t work for you—I’m not sure what’s up with it. I just clicked on it and it loaded immediately. Maybe it’s your browser? I’m in Google Chrome and it worked! Hope you enjoy your nachos! – MH

6. Kelly Kostelnik says:

Having this tonight, I’ll let you know how it goes! Looks like something that I could eat the whole pan!! Yum!

• Megan Hamby says:

I’m sure any type of oven-safe skillet would work. I saw someone comment on Pinterest that they piled everything in a casserole dish and baked. I can’t personally say whether that would work or not since I haven’t tried it that way. If you happen to try it out in a different type of dish, let me know! I’m interested to know how it comes out! – MH

• jane4041 says:

Any oven proof plate or platter will work. I used to make nachos on my dinner plate all the time…. just don’t go over 350 degrees